It’s that time of the year again. Spring! Spring means it is time for farmers to get out on the land and start planting. This also means more equipment on the roadways when we go from field to field. It is important for everyone to be alert and safe around this equipment on the road. Here are some tips for drivers when they come across a tractor on the road.
– If you are following the equipment, keep a safe distance back- if you can’t see the operator, chances are they can’t see you!
– Watch for the lights near the top and sides of the tractor for turn signals- they are just like cars and have blinkers too.
– Most tractors have a top speed around 25-30 mph (~40 km/h) so be sure to slow down when approaching equipment.That is why farmers are required to have ‘slow moving vehicle’ signs on the back of their equipment (the orange triangle).
– It may be intimidating but there is lots of room on the road for both vehicles! Be courteous and move over safely when possible because the equipment operator is doing the same for you.
– Be patient and think safely 🙂